29 April, 2016

200 Word RPG Challenge Finalists!

My collaborator and I are not on the list!

Alas!

But there are about half a dozen really cool ones HERE.

I particularly like Jhannes Oppermann's Walk Among the Dead, Hi by Jenn Martin and Todd Nicholas, and Estate by Patrick O'Leary.  Babble, Dragon/Dragonslayer, Nos Morituri, and Paranormal Rescue Squad are also all interesting for one reason or another.

Walk Among the Dead is my pick for 1st place, as it has a very interesting mechanic that drives the game, which pushes uncertainty for the seeker player, competition for the rest, and makes a neat frame for moving the game along.  The concept is also strong in that it makes a clear goal, an emotional motive for everyone, and a fun opposition.

Hi is my 2nd place pick.  Here is a game with simple and concrete rules, but virtually no mechanics that come in play, so it is a very organic game.  It simply gives each player one specific, and non-matching goal and path to get there.  The interest is in seeing if the two paths end up converging, and therein is the story.

My 3rd place pick, is Estate.  The prompted collaborative storytelling is not exceptionally innovative, but the concept that is wrapped around the mechanic is evocative.

I look forward to playing some of these when next I am on R&R!


No comments:

Post a Comment