30 August, 2016

Hardcore History

THIS is a really cool podcast.

I have been listening to the World War I series, and he is both a thorough and engaging host.  The material is both dense, and each show tops 3 HOURS, so I have only begun part II after listening and re-listening to part I three times over the past couple weeks.

I have done a lot of reading and studying about WWII in the last couple years, so I am looking forward to getting a better grasp of the details of WWI.  WWII is a gigantic subject, and I first got really hooked on it watching Band of Brothers, and listening to the audio book of The War multiple times driving between Augusta and Montgomery.  I have had arguments about the generation that fought and came out of that era, and whether they really deserve the appellation "The Greatest Generation" or not... I am still persuaded they do.  I think that while that generation may not have been led by as concentrated a pool of talent, genius, and moral thought as the Revolutionary War generation, WW II was still perhaps THE most devastating war in the history of the world.  The generation that fought it was still composed of people who were grouchy, selfish, isolationist, racist, and whatever else you want to call them, that crucible was unlike any other in scope and heat.  The rough ore that went in came out refined in a remarkable way.

Perhaps I will change my mind after studying WW I.  Perhaps not.

I am also reading (very slowly, I confess) A Distant Mirror, being the accounting of the calamity of Europe in the 14th century.  This was a horrible, horrible quagmire of civilization through the serial wars, insurrections, plagues, and schisms religious and secular that colored that period in red.  Even this period, I think was not as pivotal in history as WW II.  But again, fascinating read.

Anyway, good stuff history.  Like a gluttonous feast for the imagination!

No comments:

Post a Comment